Tuesday 3 March 2015

Marina Garcés' text on the Madrid Derby

The Madrid Derby  is the name given to football matches between Real Madrid and Atlético Madrid. Real Madrid and Atlético Madrid are clubs with contrasting identities and very different fates. Historically, Real have long been seen as the establishment club,  on the other side, Atlético was always characterized by a "sentimiento de rebeldía" , a sense of rebellion.

 In Franco years, it was Atlético that was the preferred team of the regime.  Franco, however, sought to make political capital out of Real's European Cup titles at a time when Spain was internationally isolated; said one minister, "Real Madrid are the best ambassadors we've ever had." Thus, Atlético fans regularly chanted that Real was "el equipo del gobierno, la vergüenza del país" — the team of the government, the shame of the country.

The Santiago Bernabéu, Real's stadium, is alongside banks and businesses on the classy Paseo de la Castellana street, and the Vicente Calderón can be found besides the new and really expensive park along the Manzanares River, near the Cathedral and the Royal Palace. Real draw greater support because of their historically greater resources and success, while Atlético claim to have a more working class fan base, which comes particularly from the south of the city.


1. True or false: 

-  The Madrid Derby  is the name given to football matches between Real Madrid and Athletic club of bilbao

-  One minister said:  the team of the government, the shame of the country.


2. Open questions:

1. Where is the Vicente Calderon?

2. In what years Atletico was the preferred team of the regime?


3 Synonyms

- Team (1)

- Costly (3)

- Favorite (2)

14 comments:

  1. Hi everyone,
    This text is not the best of all that I read... I think this text is not interesting because talk about Real Madrid and Atlético ;) (Why don´t talk about FCBarcelona and Real Madrid derby)
    Of ours you do it well.
    GOOD JOB MARINA :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like this text because I think is a very nice topic and I like topics about football and sports, and I think It´s a good idea to talk about this two teams.However,I don´t like the historic paragraph about Franco and that things and I think that you can put more interesting things about this two teams.But, in general, I like the text.GOOD JOB MARINA:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Carlos Beltrá Merino8 March 2015 at 15:10

    Hi Marina your blog is awesome and I love the topic as you know i'm a suporter of the Real Madrid, anyway your text is too easy to read and it's so interesting.
    GOOD JOB Marina!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi! This is an awesome text about the best sport in the world. The derby is a spectacular match between Real Madrid (the BEST team in the world) and Atletico de Madrid. This is the typical match that all the people want to watch
    CONGRATULATIONS MARINA!!!!!!!!!!!!.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Carlos Evangelista8 March 2015 at 16:22

    Hi!
    In my opinion, this text is great and cool because it talks about the history of the Madrid Derby. From this article, I have learnt about the preferred team in Franco years and a summary of the two teams history.
    Good job Marina!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hiii
    Y think this text is interesting since i like football and i'm madridISCA. Checking Gloria i would like to say that a match between Real Madrid and Barça is called Clásico, no derby.
    In my opinion the atleti has never been better than Madrid and never will be. The Atlético has been 14 years losing with the Real Madrid and when he got win, fans come under rocks.
    nowadays the Atletico is so good, but the Real Madrid still the best team ever and i'm going to be madridista to the end of my days.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Marina! I´ve found your text amazing, well i think it´s the best text of the blog up to now because it talks about football, one of my favourite sports and about Real Madrid my favourite team (with Albacete Balompié). Moreover, it talks about the history of the Madrid derbi, one of the most important matches of the year for both teams( atleti and Real Madrid)
    Good job and congratulations Marina!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. hello this text I like it because I find it interesting everything related with Real Madrid as it is my favorite team and also because I like football

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hello María!
    First of all I must say I found your text really surprising due to it´s main topic. Not only are you talking about the highly debatable and interestic topic that sorrounds the fight between two of the best teams of Spain. You also talk about the history behind this teams since their creation during Franco´s time and how their popularity has also changed. Finally, even though it was not too long, you were able to make all people understand it by employing simple language and some iconic spanish phrases and figures (Real Madrid and Atlético de Madrid).
    Congratulations María!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Marina i think that this text is very interestrng because It explains the begining of the Athletico and Real Madrid. ¡Good job Marina!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I like so muchos this text because es took about a topic of sports . I like this text because took about a football dervy of athletico de Madrid

    Good job marina

    ReplyDelete
  12. Patricia De Mateo:)9 March 2015 at 21:12

    I like so much this text because I like football but the topic isn´t original. Anyway,the text is perfect. GOOD JOB AND HALA MADRID

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Marina,
    I don´t really like this text because i dont like football but nevertheless it is an interesting text.
    GOOD JOB AND CONGRATULATIONS!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Claudia del Cerro9 March 2015 at 22:26

    Hi Marina!
    I don´t like your text so much because , I ´m not interesting about this kind of topics and because I think that the topic is a little boring,but is well .
    GOOD JOB MARINA!

    ReplyDelete